5 Best Foods to Strengthen Weak Nails
Our nails need some tender, loving care to ensure that they remain strong and healthy. Unfortunately, most of us don’t have time to give our nails the proper care because of our busy schedules but this shouldn’t be too much of a problem especially when you can help strengthen them by choosing the right kinds of food to eat.
Many of us don’t eat a healthy diet which is one of the reasons why our nails become brittle and prone to splitting or breakage. By switching to a healthier diet where you can get various vitamins and minerals, you will be able to protect your nails against fungal infections, breakage, and dullness even. To help you get started, here are the 5 best foods that you can eat to boost your nail health.
- Fish. Fish is definitely one of the best types of food that you can eat when it comes to boosting nail strength because it is high in protein which the nails need in order to become strong. The protein in the fish can increase collagen and keratin production which are needed by your nails and hair. Go for salmon, shrimp, tuna, and even crabs to get the nutrients and have them served to you on a regular basis.
- Flaxseed. If you are prone to brittle nails you will need more fatty acids in your system to keep your nails and nail beds moisturized. A good choice for this is flaxseed as it is high in essential fatty acids. You can add two teaspoons of flaxseed oil or flaxseed powder to your drink to get the nutrients it contain.
- Almonds. Another type of food that you should add to your diet for stronger and healthier nails is almond. This nut is one of the best sources of zinc, magnesium, copper, and manganese just to name a few. It is also high in biotin as well as selenium which play an important role in nail health. The best way to absorb the nutrients that the almonds contain is to eat them raw rather than roasted. You can mix them in your salads or desserts, or you can snack on them as is.
- Iron-rich foods. Our nails can become brittle when we don’t have enough iron in our system which is why you need to increase your intake of foods that contain high amounts of iron. Eggs, spinach, and even fortified cereals are packed with iron and if you really want to ensure that your nails are getting the nutrients that they need, combine iron-rich foods with those that contain plenty of vitamin C. Tomatoes, bell peppers, and even citrus fruits are packed with vitamin C which makes them a good addition to your diet. You can combine tomatoes and spinach or scramble eggs with red and green bell peppers too.
- Eggs. When it comes to strengthening your nails, make sure that you eat eggs on a regular basis. Eggs are one of the best sources of biotin which is essential for nail health. Other nutrients that are present in eggs include vitamin D, iron, selenium, and omega-3 fatty acids just to name a few. What’s great about eggs is that they are quite versatile which means that you can prepare them any way you want to. You can eat them poached, whole, or scrambled. Toss in some herbs and spices for flavouring too.
These are just a few examples of healthy foods that can boost your nail strength. If you notice that your nails are prone to breakage, splitting, and even nail fungi, you need to consider eating the foods mentioned above to protect your nails.